Monday, January 2, 2012

Surgery for Max

I have totally neglected my blog lately and have so much to blog about. I wanted to make sure I blogged about my tough little man though. At the beginning of December we unfortunatley had to take Max to Seattle Childrens Hospital for surgery on his head. The plates in his head fused too soon and they needed to fix this problem so his head and brain are able to develop and grow correctly. It was by far the hardest thing I think I have ever had to do. For some reason I didn't think about things like this when I started having children. It never really occured to me that things could go wrong. I am so thankful that this was a relatively small problem and that we were able to get it fixed. I feel for parents who have worse things going on with their children. I don't think there is anything more difficult or heartwrenching than to see your child in pain and not be able to take the pain away.







Waiting to hand him over to the nurse was hard. I was thankful he fell asleep in my arms because I don't know if I would have been able to do it if he cried. I probably would have just grabbed him and ran the other way. This didn't stop the tears for me though. It was really tough.
I thought he looked pretty brave in his little gown though.



That first night after surgery he spent in ICU. This was hard because he was in a lot of pain and they were not sure how much medicine to give him because the orders from the doctors were mixed up. He was screaming and I was about to murder someone if they didn't get him medicine NOW. I was grateful my Dad was with me, he works in a hospital and knows a little more than I do. Seth and I held him that night all night and tried hard not to move because every little movement hurt him. We switched off every couple hours to take a break.


This is his war wound. It goes to the same spot on the other side of his head. We just tell him that chicks dig scars.


His head got pretty swollen but luckily his eyes never swelled shut. This is him when the swelling just started to go down.


Finally we started to see the old Max come back. It was such a relief to see him smile again.






Ready to go home!!



1 comment:

Amy McFarlane said...

i'm so happy everything went well! i can't believe how hard that would be, but i'm glad max is doing better :)